Sunday, May 18, 2014

Zabaldica

Sunday morning and the people around me in the dorm were quiet and slept well past 6:30, breakfast was at 7 am, or 7:30, as they had a small dining room. I had signed up for the later time, and still was on the trail a little after 8 am. Today the weather could be considered perfect! The sun was shining, there was no wind, and the breezes were warm. I had my outer layers off within half an hour, and the Way was level (for the most part). I guess I should have kept walking, but after 4 hours I came to Zabaldica, with a 13th century church, and a small community of Precious Blood sisters, and a pilgrim's hostel. They are just a little bit out of the way, and up on top of a short but steep hill, so not a lot of pilgrims make the extra effort, but they are very welcoming. When sister realized I wanted to stay already (so early in the day), she insisted on fixing me something for lunch, then got me settled in. They were also excited to meet someone from St Louis and even Missouri, who knows of their Saint Philippine and been at St Ferdinand where she lived and taught.  So I've had a shower, a nap, and am sitting in the shade with a glass of cool water. Ah, life is good.
As I got here this noon, Dana and his violoncello, and his film crew were just leaving. He had had another of his concerts here in the church last night, and will have another down the trail tonight. Alas, I'm going to stay here. So we are almost moving at the same pace. Maybe I'll catch another of his performances along the Way.
Even though I had been at Mass last night, and the sisters had gone this morning, (they have daily Mass, but not on Sunday) I still decided to say Mass. The sisters were happy to go again. We had 3 Spanish sisters, only one understood English and did a little translating, plus two pilgrims from Hungry, and one from Italy. So it was quite an international affair. There is only one additional pilgrim here tonight, from England, so I have a room to myself. I guess it is possible to get away from the crowds if one picks the right places.