Saturday, May 31, 2014

Ages

No that's not a commentary on how long it feels like I've been walking, but the name of the town I'm in.
I indeed got to bed early last night, so consequently I was awake early and rather than just lay there I got up and was on the road by 7:30. The map had me a little concerned about today's terrain, as it showed a 170 meter climb up a 'hill', back down and up another 100 meters, and even a third down and up again slog. Well either the mountains are getting shorter, or I'm able to do 300 foot climbs like nothing, or they moved the trail, as they really weren't any problem. A little climbing at first, mostly all flat tops, a steep but short down and up again and a long trudge down the other side. An easy walk, but of course it was cool and drizzly, with the sun never breaking through the mist. So God is really watching out for us that we don't get sun stroke.
We came to the village of San Juan de Ortega. San Juan was a disciple of Santo Domingo, and also helped build roads and bridges for Camino pilgrims. There is still a church and monastery where he is buried. The church was very simple, with a very fancy tomb for him. 
I continued on to here, Ages, and found a bed at a hostel by noon. They have a very simple, but beautiful little church here which was actually open, so I'll go pray there.
As grace would have it, I ran into a little old Spanish lady there. She was the perfect image of a bag lady - hat and long dirty coat, missing teeth and a great big smile welcoming and wanting to show everyone their lovely, but needing work church. And I soon realized that she cleaned the church and had the keys, like to the sacristy. I somehow communicated that I was a priest and wanted to say Mass in English and we even agreed on 6 o'clock. At six o'clock she had everything set up, the church bells were ringing, and we had a small congregation of locals and pilgrims to celebrate the Ascension of the Lord. So it turned out really nice for the feast.
I had ordered the pilgrim's menu for supper when I checked in, so I had a big meal of pasta, followed by calamari, I was expecting fried, but this came out as one big baked tuber, but it was actually tender and tasty.
So time again for bed. God bless all of you and keep you safe this night.