Friday, May 2, 2014

Nevers

Well I also visited Nevers today, and that's not Never, Never Land, but a real place in France. A nice place by all looks, with another quaint old section, that looks like something from the middle ages, or at least the 17th century. It has a nice Gothic cathedral, but nothing to compare with what I've seen. It was unique in that it preserved an older Romanesque apse, with a painting of Christ Savior in the ceiling, into the west end of the present church. This resulted in there being no Western portals. There was no transept either, as at Bourges. It was easy to see that this was built at different times, as there is a change of styles, but overall following the general gothic plan of arcade, triforium, and clerestory. Unfortunately, we destroyed most of the vaulting, and heavily damaged the cathedral in the Allied bombings in 1944. Now all the windows have modern art glass in them, which I didn't find very pleasing, but it was Ok.
I guess I'm getting a little impatient as I continued on to Clermont-Ferrand, and found a place to sleep, and had a good supper. Another impressive cathedral in town made of a black volcanic stone they must have around here, but closed for today.
Now I lay me down to sleep ...