Sunday, May 11, 2014

Oloron-Sainte-Marie

Abbe Pierre had the usual French breakfast for us - bread and jam - and sent us on the way. I knew the next stop was at least 6 hours of walking as there aren't many options on this part of The Way. This is part of a cross country trail, the Piemont trail, going through Southern France and the foothills of the Pyrenees. Their goal was to have a quiet walking trail, so the goal was to avoid traffic. So if there is a forest path, that will be first choice, then farm paths, then gravel roads, country roads, and only main roads if really necessary. So I had a little of all of that today. Actually leaving Arudy, it was hard picking up the trail makers, and even some of the directions suggested following the road to save a few kilometers, I was happy to find the trail markets and get off that road and on the less used parts and a great forest trail. So l left at 8, and arrived here in the hostel by 3 pm. So I didn't do too bad. I feel pretty good, a few little aches, and my little toe was rubbing, so will have to try and do something about that. Guess I better start thinking about something to eat, as there's no Abbe Pierre to fix something.
This is a really nice hostel, very modern. There was only a phone number on the door when I got here, and a nice lady from next door called for me, and simply got the code and let me in. One other guy, a Frenchman, also showed up. Found instructions to leave payment in a box under the counter. I couldn't find a anything resembling a grocery store, so I just stopped by a sidewalk café and had a steak with frits (French fries).
It was of course overcast and humid when I left Arudy this morning, and when I stopped for lunch, it was looking and feeling like rain, but an hour later the sun came out, I could take my outer layer off and enjoy the sun and warmth. It's clouded over again, but still nice enough to sit outside in the courtyard. Guess it's time for prayers and bed.
Sorry, no Internet connection now.