Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Lourdes

I got up early and headed to Lourdes. What a wonderful place, the basilicas are very nice, but this is truly a living Holy Place. The great gothic cathedrals that I visited are indeed Holy sites, they truly have the ability to lift your spirit to God. Just to be in such a place with such history and beauty, allows ones spirit to soar. The gothic builders really built for the ages. But here the buildings are not the focus, but the pilgrims, and especially the sick, feeble, and aged. There are constant prayers, processions and such going on all the time. It's really beautiful. I did of course visit the basilicas, the grotto, the spring; I went to confession, and even bathed in the healing waters of Lourdes (praying and offering it for all you who are sick). Then I thought I should get serious about this pilgrimage, as that is my reason for being here.
I knew there was a hostel here that catered to Pilgrims on the Way of St James, so I came here. This is  dormitory living. This particular hostel has 6 bunk beds (12 beds) in a big room. Luckily there are only two of us here tonight. But then it's only 15 euros with the 'little breakfast' (bread and jam) included and everyone's invited to super prepared by the hostess for a donation. This is also their home. So I said I would be here for supper at 7:30. Well by 8 o'clock we were just on the salad, the main course (chicken with rice and zucchini and egg plant) about 8:20, cheese was served at 8:40, and dessert about 9. Such was my introduction to authentic French dining. Of course the conversation was in French so I didn't join in much, but still enjoyed being with people, after 2 weeks by myself. Unfortunately I had been thinking of going down to the candlelight procession at 9 PM. I guess God had other plans. However, this hostel sits on the hill on the other side of the river from the grotto. It has a lovely view of the basilicas and plaza. Well soon we could hear thousands of voices singing 'Ave, Ave, Ave Maria' coming from below and see the thousands of glowing candles making their way in procession around the plaza. It was quite amazing, even from where we were.
So getting ready to turn in for the night. I unpacked the sleeping bag I've been carrying, but might not use it as it's so warm. Yesterday was sunny and warm enough to take off my insulation layer, though it was still windy, and I was always trying to walk in the sunlight. Today was hot and I looked for the shade whenever I could.