Friday, May 23, 2014

Los Arcos

As I left the pilgrims hostel (again you have to be out by 8) this morning, there was a very slight drizzle, and lots of black threatening clouds. But I didn't think it would amount to much, so I headed down the trail (not that I had much choice). I wanted to stop in the lovely old church with its great acoustics and say morning prayer there before I left on this anniversary of my priestly ordination, but alas the church was not yet unlocked and so I prayed on the trail as best I could for soon it started raining a little harder, and I had to stop and dig out my rain suit and pack cover and put them on, but within an hour the sun was shining, and within another forty minutes it was raining again this time much harder but luckily I didn't have far to go, only about 8 miles of gentle country road through rolling fields of wheat and I made it here to Los Arcos by 11 am. By noon the sun was shining again, but I still decided to just stay here as it breaks up the coming days nicely. In fact, after a shower and short nap, it was nice enough to do a little extra laundry and have it dry in the sun. Then I'll spend some time walking and exploring the old section.
Los Arcos is another old town with quiet narrow streets, in the old section, with a beautiful 16th century church, over-decorated in baroque style, but overall a stunning effect. They have a pilgrim's Mass there every evening, so I'll go celebrate my anniversary with my Camino family.
I am, of course, extremely grateful for the gift of priesthood. I am grateful for the past 33 years serving God and the Church. I am grateful for all the people God has put in my life, all those who have loved and supported me in my ministry, all those who have been part of my life, especially as parishioners, and as fellow workers in God's vineyards. Thanks to all who have made these past 33 years such a grace-filled adventure. May God continue to pour out his blessings on you. Please continue to pray for me that, renewed by this Camino, I may continue to serve God, His church, and His people with faith, joy, and enthusiasm.