Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Way of the Wind

I knew by the guide books that today we had a 1000 foot climb up a ridge that is called the way of the wind. A ridge so constantly windy that there are a whole line of huge, sleek, modern windmills, or wind turbines, generating electricity. So of course, the weather was particularly windy, cool, and overcast, threatening rain at any moment. The cool weather is nice for hiking, but I was soon sweating up the hill, with the wind blowing, and constantly stopping to adjust layers. When I finally reached the top of the Hill of Pardon, (where one lets the wind carry away all anger and resentment), it was so windy and cold one didn't pause very long, a few quick photos, and then the steep decline. One wants to pause there for the magnificent views, but also there is a large metal sculpture of pilgrims on the way entitled: Where the Way of the Wind meets the Way of the Stars. The way of the stars refers to the camino de Santiago Compostela, Compostela meaning the field of stella - stars.
The rest of the way down continued in a similar manner, but no rain! I then took a little detour to a little 11th century church, St Mary Eunate. Probably built by the Knights Templar, it is a unique octagonal church, surrounded by a series of 33 arches.
According to the guide book there was supposed to be a small pilgrim's hostel there, where I was hoping to end my day, but alas the book is wrong, no hostel. Well it was always a small hostel and I knew I might not get one of the places anyway, so on to plan b and continue to the next village, a little place called Obanos. I was here by 1:30, still no rain, and got a place at the hostel.
Seems like a neat little village with a large stone church, and narrow cobblestone streets. Guess I'll go explore.