Sunday, May 11, 2014

L 'Hospital Saint Blaise

First of all the French word, and the Latin, hospital has the same root as our word 'hospitality', so I am not in a hospital, but a hostel, a place to make one welcome. It is actually part of the town's name. You find it in a lot of the medieval towns/places, a rest stop.
I left at 8 am this morning, and the trail went by the Cathedral of Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and so I had planned and stopped there to pray morning prayers. Oloron-Sainte-Marie is also on a medieval North-South Way of St James (I'm going East-West), so the trails cross there, but the cathedral is one of the landmarks on that ancient trail. It actually has a gothic apse.
The trail started out along nice paved country roads, and the sun came out, so by 9 am, I took off my outer layer and even unzipped the bottoms of my pants legs making them into shorts. For awhile I was wondering if I made the right decision, as the sun would still go behind the clouds, and it was breezy and cool, but soon the sun was shining brightly. I was then glad that the trail went into a long wooded section, so there was lots of shade. The wooded sections are prettier, but they also go up and down and around, and can be muddy. Luckily there hasn't been any real rain lately, so they were dry enough.
But it was almost 3 pm when I got here, making it a pretty long march. I admit when I'm walking, I tend to push myself to keep going - to get to the end - rather then taking lots of rests. So I'll probably have to pace myself better. I can feel it in my legs.
Almost 7 pm and I'm the only one here at this hostel. There are 4 bunk beds (8 places) here in a nice new facility. Obviously not a lot of people on this part of the trail. A fly is driving me crazy, so some things are universal.