Monday, May 19, 2014

Pamplona

This morning could be called an even more perfect day! The sun was shining, and the air was calm and warm. I had my outer layers of and pants legs unzipped within 15 minutes of starting out today. It was nice and I didn't have far to go. Within an hour I was at the outskirts of Pamplona, and within another at the city center, the old town. It still has a lot of the old city walls built to protect it in ages past. Quite a lot of work went into building such a defense, and impressive.  Pamplona, as you know, is famous for the running of the Bulls. No I didn't get trampled by a bull, that's during the festival of San Fermín in July, which was made famous by Ernest Hemingway in his novel "The Sun also Rises". But no I didn't go see his statue, or the bull fighting arena. Instead I went to the cathedral. It is a nice Gothic structure, but full of fancy Boroque altarpieces and other decorations. Since there is a cloister attached, it must of been part of a monastery once. It is quite fancy, so probably later medieval construction. Today the church is an active cathedral, but the rest a museum. Too much to see, so I hurried on to another pilgrim church St. Cernín. Very nice also, though all that Boroque and Renaissance decoration is a little too much for my taste sometime.
So I continued on through Pamplona into the suburbs. Found a pilgrim's hostel and am resting.
The first big city - Pamplona - completed!
So the morning was perfect, but this afternoon the wind has definitely picked up, and some clouds are moving in, so who knows what tomorrow will bring. Perhaps our run of good weather has run out?