Tuesday, May 13, 2014

St-Jean-Pied-de-Port

The lady hostelier had breakfast ready at 7:15 this morning, and I ate all the bread and jam I could, as there being no kind of store around, I had nothing to take with me for lunch. But I knew I'd be back in civilization by at least 2, if not earlier. However the trail soon headed up a hill and over another mountain path. I had been reading on the Camino forum about this trail, and indeed it seems to have been laid out with the scenic hiker in mind, rather then the walking pilgrim. Give me a quiet level country road anytime over the cow path up and over then down a mountain pass. And these aren't really mountains, just the foothills of the Pyrenees. The scenery was great though. The weather was for the most parts bad, but it kept changing, I'd take off a layer as the sun was shining, then put it back on in twenty minutes as it would start to rain, at the top of the pass, a real little storm blew up, and I put everything back on again, even dug out my fleece ear covers that I hadn't needed since Chartres.
The end of it all is that I made it to St-Jean-Pied-du-Pont! ! I am off of the Piémont Trail and ready to start the French Way to Santiago. Hurrah!