Saturday, May 24, 2014

Viana

Today was a wonderful day. The dorm was up fairly early, so I was on the trail by 7:30, and by 9:30 was in shorts and tee shirt, as the sun was generally shining nicely. The Way lead through a couple of villages with medieval churches, the first up on a hill, of course, was locked but a beautiful silhouette against the skyline, and overlooking the next village only a kilometer away. There was a little medieval church similar to the one in Eunate - an octagonal church with a dome and beautiful ribbing in the ceiling.
The Way then led through vineyards and olive groves for about 8 miles to Viana, where I am now.
Viana is another town with an old section and beautiful old church. As I was coming into town I noticed a man with his daughter who was dressed, I thought, rather like the Amish. I hoped it wasn't some sect. However when I got to the square next to the church, I found out there was a Basque festival this weekend and the children would be doing traditional dances in their traditional costumes. So lots of kids were dressed in traditional Basque garb. So I went and grabbed a bed at the municipal pilgrim's hostel and then went back to enjoy the festivities.
Later, since it was still nice out I took my Mass kit and found a quiet picnic table and said Mass on this the anniversary of my first Mass.  Thankful again for all the blessings of my priesthood, and the privilege to be able to celebrate the great Eucharistic sacrifice for all.
After finding some super, Mass at the church was at 8pm, so I went again for Sunday. By the time Mass was over it was pouring outside. Since the little old Spanish ladies just stood in the door watching? waiting? We figured they must know something, so we waited a bit, and it slowed enough to make a dash for the hostel. I hope it will rain itself out by tomorrow.
Love to all.