Thursday, May 15, 2014

Valcarlos

Sometime today I crossed over into Spain! Then back into France and back. The trail will sort of follow the border for awhile yet tomorrow, before we get only Spain. I am in a small village called Valcarlos, the valley of Carlos - Charlemagne - he came through here once. France is still on the other side of the valley.
I delayed as much as I could this morning before leaving, as I knew I would have a short hike today. I made half the distance to the pass, but only about one fourth the climb that will be before me tomorrow. So I was happy to break up the march over the pass, we'll see what tomorrow brings. As it is I am only attempting the shorter, lower route. Most people tackle the higher route all in one day. But I don't feel bad about doing it my way. There are two other guys here at the hostel already (a lady from Vienna just arrived also), so it might be the road less traveled but a valid option.
It is a beautiful day today, not a cloud in the sky, still a north wind blowing most of the time so it can be cool. Trail was all roads, mostly country with no traffic, but a little along a main highway, and pretty steady uphill. So it was a fine workout.
Bought a local potato tortilla for supper and fixed it at the hostel. Nice little village, though the church is locked, not much seems to be happening. Guess I'll get to bed early.