Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mauléon-Licharre

It's Sunday morning and Mothers Day there, but alas not here. I am thinking and praying for mom and for all mothers. Happy mothers day.
There's a twelfth century church here in this very little town, but no priest to say Mass. Those I talked to didn't think anyone would be interested in mass in English, so I celebrated by myself.
Of course after yesterday's sunshine, God didn't want me to walk in the heat again, so  today is drizzly and overcast. I put on my rain jacket and I have my trusty wide-brimmed sun hat, I cover my backpack and set off. I can't say that it ever really rained, but I was soon pretty well soaked through from perspiration and the high humidity. Still I was pretty warm and comfortable all morning.
At one point the forest was so pretty, I thought I was in a rainforest. Well there was the dripping rain falling from the leaves, plus a nice fern undergrowth, plus with the overcast light, the greens were bright and emerald-like. So a beautiful effect, though I think the trees were mostly your common elms and birches and Oak.
The walking seemed to go on forever, and the first two hours seemed like the trail was always climbing, then down then up and down and so on. Today was shorter than yesterday as far as distance, but seemed to take as long. However by 2:30 I've found the hostel, had a hot shower and have put on my dry clothes, and had a snack. They have a washing machine, which I'm taking advantage of, and an electric dryer! That's a first, most places have only clothes lines.
And now I'm going to see if I can find a WiFi spot and get these last for days sent off.
Alleluia.