Friday, June 20, 2014

Villafranca del Bierzo

Friday, June 20
Well I guess I panicked yesterday when my feet were just getting worse and worse. I knew I couldn't rest them from walking, I then I realized I could rest them from carrying my heavy loaded backpack by sending it on ahead with one of the transfer services. So for the second time I did that and sent my backpack ahead, and just walked without it. Well I soon realized that my feet were healing themselves. Mainly from the rest they had last night. So I felt great, and was walking fine, and realized I had panicked a bit, so when we got to where my backpack was waiting for me we decided to do another 5 miles anyway. Of course, that over did it a bit and they are a bit sore again and tired, but again I'm trying to rest them for tomorrow.
Within 2 hours of our start from Molinaseca, we were in Ponferrada, noted for the medieval castle that still survives. I was never impressed by the photos I saw of it, but it is pretty impressive when you see it. Unfortunately at 8:30 am it wasn't open, so we weren't tempted to take the time to go inside.
The church of Our Lady of the Oak was open and there is yet another beautiful basilica. The legend goes that a hunter found this ancient statue hidden in an Oak tree.
The rest of the day was walking. Some village churches that we passed were open, most were closed and so we kept walking. We picked up my pack in Cacabelos, and kept going to Villafranca del Bierzo. It is actually a fairly large town with at least 5 churches, and even an active convent of sisters, or so we heard. We just got to the outside of two of them, both closed.
We had supper at a sidewalk café in the town square, where I tried octopus for the first time - it wasn't bad and I enjoyed it.
Time for all good pilgrims to be in bed, so goodnight to all. May the angels watch over you tonight.