Monday, June 9, 2014

Sahagún

DAnother nice day, though a little cooler than yesterday, still nice walking. We are still in an area of nice flat land, farms and fields in all directions. In fact the major building material is mud, as in adobe bricks, or now actual fired brick, as there is no rock. But adobe doesn't last very long, the great monasteries and buildings of adobe built in centuries past have all disappeared.
I arrived here in Sahagún before noon, having passed through 3 small villages with typical brick churches, and all were locked up. Sahagún has at least 3 historical churches, and as many ruins, and absolutely everything is closed on Mondays! So guess which day I'm here! Sahagún was the home of a great medieval monastery, but today there is practically no sign of it left.
In fact the pilgrim's hostel I am in is in the ruins of an old church. I'm laying in the top bunk and staring at the remains of an arch, with a new wooden roof over it.
I hope all the cafés aren't closed on Mondays so that I can find some supper.
Oh, Sahagún claims to be the geographical midway point of the Camino (I think we actually passed the halfway point a few towns back). If anything was open I could get a certificate for being here, but doubt I'll wait around in the morning till 11 when they open. We have to be out of the hostel by 8 as usual.
Also they seem to be preparing for their town festival this weekend (another reason not to stick around) which will include the Running of the Bulls, which is of course, followed by a bull fight! This all in honor of their patron saint - St Facundo!
I pray your Camino is level and smooth. God bless!