Sunday, June 1, 2014

Burgos

Ages was overcast and windy this morning as I got an early start and headed down the trail by 7am. I figured I had a long day to go. The Camino first headed off to and went through Atapuerca. Where some of our ancestors came from! Did you know that? Yes it is a great archeological site where they say our European human ancestors came from some 800,000 years ago. So that's a great thought. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to stop, as it really wasn't close to the camino. Googleing it will probably give just as much information.
Then we climbed up to 1050 meters (3,444 feet), the high point on the Camino between the pass and the mountains before Santiago. There is a cross there making the spot, and a labyrinth marked off with stone to walk, but I didn't do that either, but continued down the trail, which was indeed all downhill, and into the suburbs and industrial section of Burgos, the second largest city on the Camino. This is a long and depressing stretch of trail and many people catch a bus and just skip it. I walked it all, though I did take an alternate route that went through a nice parkland running along side the river into the old section. It was nice to see so many Bugosesse out enjoying the day and park. So it was well after noon as I headed into the old part of town, taking my time, seeing what sights I could as I went along. So I'm in Burgos! More than 1/3 of the way to Santiago!
So some time after one I found the main pilgrim's hostel and was able to still get a bed, there are only 150 beds here. I right away ran into young John from Georgia, who was having girl problems, and needed to talk. So we went to lunch and walked around and talked. The cathedral here is really something. I haven't been inside yet, I'm planning on staying here tomorrow also, so I'll see it and the other sights then.
By evening I decided to attend Mass for the Ascension at one of the smaller churches, St Nicholas. So that was nice. That church has a completely carved stone reredos. It is quite unique, I've never seen anything like it.
Then meet up with John and Alec and Monique and ... others who have been together at one time or another in the past weeks. There were 8 of us around the table in the restaurant having the pilgrim's menu.
It was more than two hours before I could get away and get back to the hostel to get some rest. These hostels have a 10 pm curfew, and want everyone out by 8 am.  That's the pilgrim's schedule.
Doesn't look like there's a good enough WiFi connection, so this probably won't go out tonight. So sometime tomorrow.
May God bless you all with all his blessings. Amen