Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Mansilla de las Mulas

I don't know much about the rain on the plains of Spain, but those plains sure are flat, and today they were hot with nary a cloud in sight. I only walked from the pilgrim's hostel I stayed in last night to the very next one, but it was 15.2 miles of old Roman road. Yes another day of gravel on the old foundations laid down by the Romans some 2000 years ago, straight and level and nary a tree the whole 6 hours walking. I could have stopped about an hour earlier with a very slight detour to a very small village, but decided to push on to Mansilla here as it is a little bigger town and there should be some sights to visit this evening. I've already come through one of the remaining gates from the old city walls, and visited the 18th century parish church. So I'll head out to see what other sights there are to be seen.
So there are crumbling walls, one old church is the council chamber, an old monastery is an ethnological museum, which I didn't go in, and the typical narrow streets of an old town. So a nice peaceful place to explore a bit, but the sun is definitely hot, and not something you want to be out in in the middle of the afternoon. I see Mass scheduled for 8:30, so I'll head over to the church for that.